Tom and I received a cd alarm clock as a wedding gift, so instead of waking up every morning to a monotonous buzzing sound, we wake up to Jason Upton singing Psalm 23. It is very possibly the most beautiful way to wake up in the morning. Waking up is still I chore that I desperately despise, but Jason makes it much better.
This song has increased tremendously in importance to my heart since my wedding. Every time I hear it, I think of the dim sanctuary lit with candles, my handsome husband standing proudly on the stage, and a spirit of worship permeating the room. I think of the power that is held in the song, and how, even though I was not in the sanctuary when the song was sung, I know that the power of that song was released. I could hear it through the voices drifting out the doors and into the brides room where I anxiously awaited my procession. I could feel it when I walked down the aisle. I could see it in the faces of the guests that told us in amazement how worshipful our wedding was. The heart of this song permeated my wedding, and I will never listen to the song without being reminded of that.
I would also like to add that none of the above would be true without Ray Evans. I can remember telling Tom a year or so ago that it was impossible for anyone to sing a Jason Upton song and truly do it well. Sure, it's nice to sing his songs during worship, but how often do they really carry the weight that they do when Jason sings them? That was until I heard Ray sing Face of Time at 6:35 one evening. It was then that I knew that we had found someone who actually had the ability to sing an Upton song and do it justice. And Tom agreed with me, which is huge for my Upton-obsessed beloved. And so Ray was given the task of singing the song. And he didn't just do it justice. He sang it like Jason... as well as Jason. Is that really possible? I didn't think so, but it is. I don't think Ray knows how talented he is, but I am here to declare that he is truly blessed with an amazing gift from the Lord. And he also provides a friendship to my husband that brings delight to his heart, which makes him very great. Almost as great as his wife and dog. Not quite, but almost. :)
And that is my way of turning my post about an alarm clock into a recognition of how very much I enjoy the Evans' and am blessed to have them in Tom's and my life :)
No comments:
Post a Comment