Thursday, June 30, 2005

Jim Wallis in the "sojomail" I just received:

One of the most famous revivalists, Charles Finney, developed the idea of the "altar call" in order to make sure he signed up all of his converts for the abolition movement.


I so did not know that. I was kind of bitter toward Finney for developing the altar call, but this does good work in my heart by erasing my bitterness. Atleast he had a good reason for creating the stupid things.

I do not hate all altar calls... just those done by Jacob Aranza that make you feel like you are a heretic if you don't answer them. I once unknowingly commited my life to the ministry simply because Jacob was so persistant on "everyone" needing to come down and commit their lives to Jesus. So I, for the millionth time, commited my life to Jesus. But when people congratulated me afterwards for my decision, and I heard others talking about why they didn't answer the call to the ministry, I was more than a little humiliated.

But atleast Finney had better intentions than Jacob Aranza.



Note: Jacob Aranza is a preacher and nationwide evangelist located in Lafayette, Louisiana. I owe much to this man, and I do love him very much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one in the blogosphere who has been subjected to Aranza's altar calls. Memories of high school . . .