I'm not usually a huge fan of the Message (maybe because my fiance claims that is "turns the sword of the spirit into a butter knife"), but this morning the Lord is speaking to me tremendously through it.
Psalm 40:6
Doing something for you, bringing something to you--that's not what you're after. Being religious, acting pious--that's not what you're asking for. You've opened my ears so I can listen.
Psalm 51
16 Going through the motions doesn't please you,
a flawless performance is nothing to you.
17 I learned God--worship
when my pride was shattered.
Heart-shattered lives ready for love
don't for a moment escape God's notice.
Psalm 50
7 "Are you listening, dear people? I'm getting ready to speak;
Israel, I'm about ready to bring you to trial.
This is God, your God,
speaking to you.
8 I don't find fault with your acts of worship,
the frequent burnt sacrifices you offer.
9 But why should I want your blue-ribbon bull,
or more and more goats from your herds?
10 Every creature in the forest is mine,
the wild animals on all the mountains.
11 I know every mountain bird by name;
the scampering field mice are my friends.
12 If I get hungry, do you think I'd tell you?
All creation and its bounty are mine.
13 Do you think I feast on venison?or drink draughts of goats' blood?
14 Spread for me a banquet of praise,
serve High God a feast of kept promises,
15 And call for help when you're in trouble--
I'll help you, and you'll honor me."
1 Samuel 15:22
Then Samuel said, Do you think all GOD wants are sacrifices--empty rituals just for show? He wants you to listen to him! Plain listening is the thing, not staging a lavish religious production.
No comments:
Post a Comment