Sunday, January 21, 2007

So... how is school?

Honestly, it's amazing. Not perfect, and I've had my freak-out moments, but all in all, it's amazing.

Some interesting observations that I've made after being in school again after 2 1/2 years:

--I can not tell you all how good it feels to be working on this stuff again. I was working on an organic reactions problem set yesterday, and it was so hard my brain was about to explode, but I loved it. Loved it. I don't know how this stuff is going to fit into Jesus's plan for my life, but it somehow does, because I love it with a really beautiful God-given passion.

--I'm so much more laid back about things! I was ok failing a few of the placement exams, because it was either do that, or cram my head full of information that I forgot 2 years ago. And cramming Pchem back into my head would have taken time that could have been much better spent elsewhere. So I made sure that I did well on organic, and I didn't worry about the rest. And my grades reflected that (I passed 2 and failed 3), but that's ok with me. And I'm ok with not being the top student in my organic class. As long as I learn, and as long as I get to spend my time working on this beautiful subject, I'm ok. The 4.0 freak of a few years ago would not have had that attitude :)

--I've actually gone to the professor's offices without fear. And I even went to one and asked a question! This is the same girl who used to shake every time she had to step foot into her professor's office. And to go and ask a question, well that rarely, rarely happened unless it was absolutely necessary. This means that I'm finally growing up! Yay!


In other news, Tom and I had our first NT2 class together this weekend, and HOLY FREAKING CRAP y'all, this professor is amazing. He studied under Bruce Metzger and EP Sanders, was good friends with Raymond Brown during the last years of his life, is a freaking wealth of knowledge and is such a cute, sweet old man. All he needs is a crazy mess of white hair on his heads, and I'd swear he was Dr. Winbery's (my LC NT professor) twin. He started class by talking about how Fuller's purpose is to "educate not indoctrinate" and went on to fulfill that purpose through the subsequent 7 1/2 hours of class. And he wore a really funny vest and had us start off class by singing a song.

I think I'm going to really like this semester :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so great to read! Woo hoo to chemistry!

Anonymous said...

i enjoy you.

mel

Anonymous said...

That is fulfilling news. The Church too often fails to understand that Science may well be one of God's tools of general revelation. I hope you share with DW - he will be much pleased and relieved.

Rebecca said...

Thanks, Michael :)