Saturday, March 29, 2008

There is a position available at a community college in Walnut, CA (near enough to Pasadena) for a full-time Chemistry Professor, and I want this job so badly. So, so badly. I worked incredibly hard on the application, writing and re-writing the cover letter, perfecting my resume, making sure that I did everything I could to convince them that they NEED to hire me.

And the great thing is, that I actually feel really qualified for this job. This round of job-searching is a ton different than the job search from hell after undergrad. At that time, I had no experience, no qualifications other than a degree in Chemistry and a perfect GPA. Though I was proud of my GPA, it was really not that impressive to the job market, and I spent 3 months searching for a job before getting hired by Lynntech.

This time around, I have a M.S. in Chemical Education, a degree which I am really proud of and which I feel makes me even more qualified to teach at a community college than a PhD would. And I have teaching experience and industry experience. And my GPA isn't perfect, but I'm much more well-rounded now.

My excitement over this job opening has made me a little more excited about moving to California. Really, anything that will convince me that we CAN actually pay the bills over there will turn any fear into excitement, because I really do love California. And it really will be so much fun over there. Especially if I can find a job that I like which will pay the bills.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I work for Mt. Sac but not as faculty but I know the classified hiring process. To get through paper screening make sure you cover everything in the job requirements from the job posting on your resume even if you need to get creative. This should get you into an interview.

Rebecca said...

Awesome... I'm pretty sure I did that. I hope I did at least, since it's too late to change the application now.

(I really didn't expect any Mt. Sac employees to read my blog... small world!!)

Kari said...

Good luck, Rebecca!

Sommer West, MPH said...

I wish I knew someone. I'd hire you in a heartbeat!